Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has been unwell few weeks with congestion.

Customer Question

My husband has been unwell for a few weeks with congestion. Over the last 5 days he's had terrible headaches. It's very painful on the left side of his head. It's particularly painful when he moves his head. This morning his left eye is irritated. For around a year he has suffered from a mild tremor in the mornings. Could this be related? He works abroad so very anxious to get him treated. He has seen a doctor twice in last few days and they are saying the headaches are stress. Pain killers aren't doing anything. What would you suggest?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.It will help if you could provide some further information.What did the doctors say was the cause of the congestion?In what way is his left eye irritated?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He flew back out to his job with a cold. Which was a few weeks ago. They didn't say what the cause of the congestion was.
The eye is swollen and sore to touch. Struggling to keep it open. He says he's been rubbing it as it feels itchy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They keep giving him pain killer injections and sending home.
He's on his was back to the hospital to try and see someone again. He works in Saudi Arabia. If he doesn't get any joy then he will catch a flight home tonight.
My husband is never really been like this before. His head pain is really affecting him. He looks awful. Drained and his face looks pained. He trying to rest but nothing is helping
Thank you for the additional information. The morning tremor that he has had for a year would typically not be related to the recent congestion or headache. It is certainly true that the most common cause of congestion of short duration is a cold, but when there is congestion and headache, it also could be related to a sinus infection, which is most often a bacterial infection. Sinus infections will frequently occur as a complication of an initial viral infection, so it may have started with a viral infection causing the initial congestion weeks ago, but has now progressed to a sinus infection causing the terrible headaches over the last 5 days. If the doctors did not find any evidence of a sinus infection, then a cold would be the most common diagnosis, but another option for evaluation of a possible sinus infection would be x-rays or CT scans of the sinuses. A viral infection can also affect the eye, but it would be redness/inflammation of the conjunctiva, both over the whites of the eyes or the inside of the eyelids. However, there also are certain bacterial infections of the eye. With the severity of his symptoms, I would be suspicious of a sinus infection as the primary cause of the congestion and severe headache, and further evaluation of the sinuses may help to clarify the situation. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.