Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I had as hernia operation in the groin. Since then my left

Customer Question

I had as hernia operation in the groin. Since then my left testical has shrunk to almost nothing. What has gone wrong and can it be fixed?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.This a known but rare complication of hernia surgery.Less than 1 % of patients undergoing hernia surgery get this.This is known as testicular atrophy secondary to ischemia.This happens because the blood supply to the testis is somehow obstructed by hernia surgery.Unfortunately the testis is irreversibly damaged by loss of blood supply to the testis and it cannot be brought back to it's normal state.I understand that this is not the answer you were expecting but I need to tell you the complete truth as anything less would be unethical on my part.This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need to discuss further.If done do remember to rate my service by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.