Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a bruised hand and bump on the back of my hand near

I have a bruised hand and bump on the back of my hand near my thumb after a kick to it playing sports two days ago. I have no loss of movement and it's only painful on the bump where I was kicked but it's got no better over the two days and my wrist feels unstable and the bones 'click' or move at times when I move it (I have no pain on this at all). Is there any possibility I have broken something? It's not causing problems but I am wondering if I should get it checked out or just leave it? It really doesn't feel broken.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.A bruise and a bump and tenderness are all signs of a fracture.The area you specify is the area of the metacarpals and isolated metacarpal shaft fractures even when broken don't cause limitation of movements.I would suggest that you have this checked out at the Urgent Care or the ER and have it x rayed as well as examined. Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I uploaded a photo too if that helps
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is a swelling and an obvious bruise. Being a hand surgeon my first instinct would be to get this x rayed and rule out a fracture of the 2nd metacarpal neck or the shaft.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.