Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

If my son is diagnosed with spondelethis does this mean is

if my son is diagnosed with spondelethis does this mean is football career is over ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son is 10 years old and is on trial at Chelsea, they noticed he was starting to run in a strange way, which they thought that it was because of resent growth my son is exceptionally tall for his age he is atleast a head taller than people in his age group. He was receiving physio from them and during physio they noticed that his hampstrings were tight, they also noticed that he seemed to have a step in his back, I went into worry mode and thought I would take him to the osteopath who said they could not feel a step and that it was due to growth. Chelsea have not arranged for a mri scan for today, My quetion is if it comes back that he has Spondolethis does that mean his career will be over ? he is not in any pain at all, Thank you for your hep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not his back the step was noticed in his spine lumbar spine
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.If his back shows problems on the MRI then his playing career unfortunately may be in serious risk as far as I am concerned. It may very well be over.But, it would be very unlikely, at his age to find any spine issues. So I would keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So are you saying that if he has spondelethis his career will be over ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Most likely, yes.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
But, again it would depend on his symptoms. If he has no symptoms he may continue to play but it may continue to worsen with competitive sport.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would an osteopath not have felt the step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The osteopath said his spine felt normal
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Actually all these are nonspecific things.Step or no step, the best test is MRI.I am hoping that his MRI would be clean because I have never, in my 13 years of practice, seen spondylolisthesis at his age.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards