Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had sex on the morning of Friday the 29th of April and went

Customer Question

I had sex on the morning of Friday the 29th of April and went for the morning after pill at around 1pm on Sunday the 1st of May. However I was then sick at about 5/5.30 that afternoon. Would the morning after pill still have worked?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, the morning after pill would work as well in your situation. As with most pills, they are absorbed relatively quickly after swallowing the pills. People with normal stomach emptying will readily send the pills downstream from the stomach into the small intestine where absorption occurs within a hour or two of being swallowed. Therefore, when you vomited, there would not be any of the pills remaining in the stomach 4 - 4 and 1/2 hours later to be lost in the vomitus. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/