DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a 2 year old nephew and he is a happy child.

Hello. I have a 2 year old nephew and he is a happy child. Loves to run about and chase his own shadow. He was born a month early and has turned blue twice during his life time while at the hospital when he was born. He was born with Jaundice and was placed under a sunbed for a period of time. He was saying the odd word every now and again. He would say the word no but did not understand it. Loved to giggle afterwards. I have not seen him in awhile as I live a distance from him. I spoke to my brother about him and he apparently is according to his childminder a year behind other children. He doesn't talk coherently and will talk but the words are not actual words. He sounds out letters and such but nothing that makes sense. He says da da da. He understands basic instructions. Recently at his 2nd birthday party he was very withdrawn and would not interact with the adults and children there. Once some of the party had left he became more interactive and happy with the people who stayed. My brother seems to think that too many people over stimulate him. Small groups he seems to thrive in but if the childminder has a house full children with helpers they have to spend a smaller amount of time with him and he spend more time by himself. He loves to play with a bouncing ball that lights up when thrown on the floor. He will pick it up and stare into it. He can feed himself alittle but most ends up on him. Or in his hair. Both parents have tried to get help from their local doctor and health care worker but they keep getting passed back and forth. They have been told to wait for a paediatrician but an appointment can 9 months, They now have a 1 week old daughter. My nephew looks at her and is very gentle with her. Both parents are worried about him and the fact that he is just not communicating. He will stand next to his high chair or a cupboard and cry as he is hungry. He just will not even say anything basic like food, yum yum or point at something he wants. It is very stressful on them both and with a new born they are even more worried and burning the candle at both ends. One day he is making amazing little discoveries and the next he seems to withdraw back. It is very confusing for them both and any ideas or directions that they could at least start to look into would be most helpful for them both. My brother seems to have his attention the best and spends as much time as he can to improve his development. He just wants to have my nephew talking words that make sense or have an idea on what can be done to help him communicate his needs better. He feels that once Joe can actually express himself better he will become a more interactive child.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis can bedelayed developmenthearing problem or visual problem contributingautism spectrum disorder.I would move the appointment with the doctor up. 9 months is not really acceptable at this point.Or go private and take him to a child psychologist, or child psychiatrist, or good pediatrician for assessment now. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. My brother has my nephew at a speech therapist who has mentioned that because they do everything for my nephew he has not really needed to talk. While they are waiting for an appointment with the paediatrician they have been told to in a sense withhold things they normally just hand over. Instead they have to repeat a word such as please or more etc until he makes an attempt at the word. Reward him with whatever he is after once he tries. They are hoping that this will rectify his communication problems. They have been un-officially told it possibly be autism but until he is older it will be difficult to diagnose. They are prepared in case there is a diagnosis of autism but are going to start the work into repeat and reward I am hoping this will be the case. I have passed on the information to my brother and he is grateful for the advice.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I think that approach is OK as long as it is not forced or pushy.See my premium services offer for integrative medicine information.