Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My son is 25, is a chef and stands to eighteen hours

Customer Question

My son is 25, is a chef and stands for up to eighteen hours a day. He is underweight but has developed visible Veins on his left leg. Is it normal for him to develp these at his age? He has tricuspid Atresia and had a bidirectional cavo pulmonary shunt at the age of 4. Does he need to be concerned that this may have made the veins worse sooner than usual. Does he need to worry about the blood leakage or flowing backwards into the surface leg veins as being a symptom of his blood struggling to flow because of his heart condition or is it likely to be unrelated. Last check up a year or so ago with heart surgeon showed everything working fine. He also has a hernia which is going to be fixed soon, waiting for NHS appointment.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
This could be normal with extreme weight loss but I would be concerned about cardiac issuewhen was his last cardiac checkup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His last checkup was round January 2015. He has been thin for a long time so it's not because of extreme weight loss rather because he is on his feet eighteen hours a day. He favours standing on his left leg because of a callous on his right foot and it's the left leg with the veins. He weighs 63kg not sure how tall he is but he stands head and shoulders taller than me at five foot four. I was just wondering if veins are common in young chefs or if we need to check blood flow pressures. How do you go about checking that the blood is flowing correctly through the body? I know the cardiologist checks the flow in the heart is that enough? He is constantly run down and often flu like symptoms with post nasal drip. Or is this too complicated for this forum? Doctors here just keep telling him he works too hard and must have a bug. He takes vitamins and protein or meal replacement shakes daily and has put on seven kg in the last year.
They are common due to standing on your feet for so long.
Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)If you have more questions, just reply