How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64334
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have an issue with my lower back. This has been going on

Customer Question

I have an issue with my lower back. This has been going on for the best part of 10 years. I have tried osteopaths and physio but it would appear that they are trying to treat symptoms rather than the root cause.
I have had an MRI scan in the last 14 days and it shows a healthy spine, with no nerve damage, however the S2/L5 is out off alignment with the rest of the spine and also the disc is starting to degenerate. The suggested route to correct this is the TILF fusion.
I have been referred to the consultants recommended physio department, and again he is looking more at the pain and pain management.
Is anyone able to help, as I believe there is a more fundamental issue at the bottom of this. The family has a history of orthopedic issues, and I have flat feet.
As an engineer, I can understand that flat feet would cause issues with the ankle, which in turn upsets the knees, hips pelvis and spine. It has been identified that I have a loading issue, with the weight all going down my left leg. This in turn causes issues when I run.
I don't think my pain is caused by my nerves being sensitive.
Anyone able to help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidwas it an open or closed MRI scanner? open MRI scanners often don't have good image resolutionhow old are you?are you overweight? being overweight can put more strain on your back spine and muscles.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is a structural problem, to answer your question.It has nothing to do, necessarily, with family history.Degenerative disc disease is common, and total causality is not known.You need more than pain management, but maybe not surgery.In fact, in terms of nerve damage, or not, an EMG/NCS test would be advisable.The following type of doctor can do this in the office.See an MD specialist called a physiatrist. In the UK, this type of doctor is called a NON-INVASIVE orthopedist.A physiatrist is an MD or DO doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation, who will tailor a physical therapy to you and your tests, and can do the tests, and who will also use novel electronic and traction therapies, and can handle pain control or work with your pain control doctor and your other doctors.The reason physical therapy often does not help is because it is not individualized.This doctor will do that as well.These doctors...physiatrists are oriented to improving the situation to the point that you don't need surgery or medications.Let me know if you want more details.In addition, besides being a board certified internist, I am board certified in integrative medicine, in which we incorporate forefront therapies, world therapies, ancient therapies, etc.I can tell you additional ways to fix this. Rate me positive here and after that find me by request, if you have no further questions on the initial answer. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64334
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
DrRussMD and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What options would you look at, if physical therapy is the best route?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes sense to me that it is likely to be a structural problem, and the pain relief is only part of it.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiI described these options above in my section on physiatry.If you would like to go into unconventional alternatives as well, please find me by request in medical"For Dr. Thomas only"