Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 8 year old daughter has had quite sever stomach pains starting

Customer Question

My 8 year old daughter has had quite sever stomach pains starting in her navel on Tuesday and then has gone to the lower right side of her abdomen. She has had a on off low grade temp no higher than 37.7 and has felt sick since. She has lost her appetite too. She has also had some pain in her legs??? And some in her back on the lower right side, today she had been urinating frequently and once it has been stinging. We have now been twice to our local hospital on the paediatric observation assessment unit where they have carried out blood tests yesterday and today. They discharged us yesterday as bloods and urine were normal and told us to some back if pain worsened which we did today. They carried out another set of bloods and urine tests and she saw a senior registra . The bloods were again normal but urine had white cells so was sent off. They didn't think she needed an opinion from one of there surgeons and discharged us earlier tonight. My dad is a retired GP and he has examined her and feels that she is tender over appendix. Could this still be the start of Appendicitis and should I take her to another hospital for second opinion? Your advice would be appreciated . Thanks Lisa
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I tend to agree with your dad here.I think that it could be an inflamed appendix.A CT scan of the abdomen to have a look at the appendix would be a really good test to have done which is what I would recommend at this stage.Since the pain is persistent, in spite of the fact the all the blood reports are good, this still could be appendicitis.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks dr, is there anything else that I should look out for at all or any other symptoms and how long should I leave it? They said the open access is available for 24 hours but only to go back if she's in agony and can't move! Would u suggest I try a different hospital, maybe Manchester children's which is only 20 mins away? Don't want people to think I'm making a fuss!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my reply I think I rated you before I sent it and it may have closed the conversation.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I will respond now. I just saw your reply.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that you should try a different hospital i.e. the children's hospital.I just want to be sure we do not miss appendicitis.My daughter had appendicitis like this and all blood tests were normal.So it can happen and I would like that it should be ruled out.Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks I thought that it was possible
To have it with normal bloods. You've been very helpful. Is there any other symptoms to look out for? Sorry I won't ask u anything else.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Fever and vomiting along with increasing severity of the pain or the pain starting to generalize and spread to the whole of the abdomen. These signs may indicate an impending rupture of appendix or the spreading pain may indicate that the rupture has already happened.