Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

A couple of weeks ago I inadvertently "put my back out".

Hi, a couple of weeks ago I inadvertently "put my back out". I was getting dressed and as I was wrestling with my jeans, my lower back became stuck. There was small amount of pain and discomfort and my flexibility (particularly going forward) became limited.
The pain has not been severe at all, however my back has been stiff at times. I've been applying an ibuprofen gel in the morning which takes the edge of the discomfort, and I've bought some heat patches to help the recovery, but have not used any yet.
I generally feel fine now especially when I'm walking, however I'm concerned about over-stretching myself and undoing the healing process. Should I be resting it as much as possible, or try to keep active? Are there any other suggestions please?
I'm 31 yo Male who has mild anxiety (muscle tension, particularly at work).
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Most likely, you strained a muscle that can take a good two weeks to heal up completely.In the meantime you should try and avoid exerting excessively so that it heals up in the meantime.I would continue doing what you are already doing.Should heal up in due course of time.Does not sound like anything serious or anything to worry about.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will continue with the gels, baths and rest etc...
I appreciated your help.