wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Some advice on the following please: Yesterday I went for

Some advice on the following please:
Yesterday I went for a 30 minute run. After about 8 minutes of the run at gentle pace, my heart rate suddenly spiked and I could feel thumping in my chest. The following are mm:ss HR stats from my Garmin HR monitor. I stress that this is what I could feel physically as well as noticing on the watch.
8:37 147, 8:39 166, 8:41 168, 10:56 167 then started walking, but HR still increasing 11:45 173 then started to fall to 12:46 120. Continued walking 13:30 125, then started jogging slowly, but almost immediate spike to 13:34 155, 14:06 160, walked again, 15:22 161, 16:34 115, started jogging slowly again, stayed around 140 for remaining 14 minutes of very slow jogging except one brief spike to 167 between 22:00 and 23:35 that quickly subsided.
Generally I will complete a whole run at more than this pace within a HR max of about 145 – 150.
Otherwise I felt relatively well, although the weather was hotter than recently and the air quality was apparently bad in the UK.
Something similar but of much shorter duration happen about 2 weeks ago.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.These data most likely do not represent an emergency at this point, especially since you didn't have any pain or any other symptoms than a thumping in your chest.That being said, since this has been the second time you have documented this cardiac activity I would suggest having an evaluation by your GP and sharing these data with her. After examining you she may want to do a holter monitor so as to capture your cardiac activity while you engage in your normal daily activities, including your regular runs.So. What is the take home message?1. No need to panic from what you have posted here today 2. Check it out with your MD to be on the safe side.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** comforting. There is a small back story that may be relevant. Between May 15 and Jan 16, I gradually built up until running 3 times a week for approx 16-18 miles total. In mid January I ran a parkrun 5k in the mud and probably over exterted - ran at about 100% of max HR for the 33 mins. After recovery, a few weeks later after about 1 mile in a run, I suddenly felt very fatigued for no reason and had to walk for the first time in months. (There was no heart rate spiking) It happen again a week later and I assumed a virus or similar and stopped running for a few weeks. Then I went to India and contracted a stomach problem, so ended up having about 8 weeks off running. I started again 3 weeks ago running only a few miles at a time and at very slow pace.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe the run in the mud would have caused any permanent damage.I, really, wouldn't worry....but, if you are concerned, a 24 hour holter monitor (during which time you run as usual) would put all concerns to rest.Make sense?Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City