Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 34 and despite having been with my now husband

I am 34 and despite having been with my now husband for 15 years we have never had sex. Recently I noticed my vagina felt "smaller". GP has said that because it hasn't been used the muscles have tightened making the canal very narrow. He didn't even attempt a full exam. He said I am to be referred to a gynecologist but this could take weeks. I still hope to be able to have children one day. What treatment could be offered to help? Surgery?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question.I understand your concerns.I agree with your GP in that tightness is due to your vagina not being used.Dilator therapy i.e. dilation of the vagina, offers non-surgical approach to restoring vaginal capacity and elasticity.I am giving you a link which gives details on this kind of therapy that can be used in your case:http://www.obgmanagement.com/home/article/vaginal-dilation-when-its-indicated-and-tips-on-teaching-it/daa4d1b01f8149a4ffa0425320407e31.htmlThis session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Is there any idea of the time this therapy could take? Also, would there be any additional options if this therapy was not successful?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
Yes, surgery is the final option if this is not successful.But in the vast majority of cases this is successful.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.It can take four to eight weeks to dilate the vagina.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks again. Finally, once the condition is resolved in whatever manner, should this have any affect on my ability to conceive or give birth? Obviously I am getting older and if this treatment takes a long time I'm concerned children may not happen for me. My mother and mother-in-law both experienced multiple miscarriages and fertility problems.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
No, this particular condition should not have an affect but your age would have an effect.The older you get the less likely it will be for you to get pregnancy. So I strongly recommend that you should try and get pregnant ASAP.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. I will try to see my GP this week, it can be very hard to get an appointment and the referrals take six weeks or so on average which is why I wanted some information now. I don't want to lose lots of time trying with dilators in case it doesn't work and then have to wait for alternatives. Perhaps I could request surgery straight away owing to this?
Is this something that might happen?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
Yes, surgery is something that may happen right away but a few months would not matter a great deal if we can avoid surgery. So I would still try dilator therapy first.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your time, you have been very helpful.
I will rate accordingly.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
You are most welcome.I would appreciate a rating by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here by the justanswer.com Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine