Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I was diagnosed with mild arthritis in my knee last week have

I was diagnosed with mild arthritis in my knee last week have been taking naproxen 500ml twice a day and co codamole30mlg/ 500 mg but the last day or two I have been in so much pain and today I can not walk or stand. The problem is I am in my sons flat not at home and there is no lift . Can you advise please
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question.I understand it must be tough walking up those stairs which is, most likely, what is exacerbating the pain as far as I am concerned.I think that you may require stronger pain medication to help with the pain for a few days and you should try your level best not to climb up and down the stairs too much if and whenever possible.Also, using axsain cream (or other brands of cream that contain capsaicin) can help a lot with this kind of pain at times.If your symptoms persist or worsen, you must be seen by your GP again to possibly give you something stronger.At times intraarticular injections of a steroid can help with the pain. This is usually administered by a pain medicine doctor.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.
HelloIt is clear that this pain is not under control, and that it is not just walking up stairs that is the problem.Your symptoms are at a maximum, not being able to stand.Pain meds alone are not the answer here, certainly not what you are on.Physiotherapy is a mainstay.Also, immediate examination, to assess how much inflammation there is here.Maybe a steroid taper.Have someone take you to A&E now.This degree of arthritis can cause joint destruction more rapidly than otherwise.You need imaging, of the joint as well. I assume this is knees.You need testing for Rheumatoid arthritis, which, with this much pain, can cause rapid joint destruction. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
I am the doctor who responded first to your question.Rheumatoid arthritis is very unlikely at your age. It is osteoarthritis.Oral steroids are not recommended in osteoarthritis which is not something I would recommend.Intraarticular injections of steroid are used, at times, to help with the pain.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine