Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Dr Phil. Are you avaliable advice? Many

Customer Question

Hi Dr Phil.Are you avaliable for some advice?Many Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidwhat questions do you have?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello there.
I'd prefer to wait for Doctor Phil but many thanks for your response.
sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.
I'm here.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Phil.
Sorry for delay I seem to be having trouble being able to log back in to the site for some reason.
I've spoken to you before doctor in regards ***** ***** baby as I do get quite anxious about things.
I've seen my GP in regards ***** ***** I was worried about and I just wondered if it's ok to ask your opinion on it also if that's ok.
Many thanks.
Claire.
Sure claire I remember. What is your question?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks Phil and sorry for delay again it seems to not want to load my question page for some reason.
Well I've been a little worried as my husband has recently been decorating and when he was cleaning up he washed his paint brushes out in the sink which at the time I thought nothing of. But the next morning when I was cleaning up I noticed some of the paint residue on our drainer where my babies feeding utensils such as bowls cups and spoons were on the drainer. I just felt worried incase any of the paint residue from the wash water splashed on to her bits and bobs . Also I hadn't realised that he's used our dish cloth of of all things to wipe around and this is where I think the residue would of come from.
This worried me as I had been using it to wash baby dishes and generally wipe around the kichen. I have just read about the concerns around paint in regards ***** *****'S? Is it volatile compounds or something?
I checked the paint tins and it says low VOCS but I am worried incase she ingested any if there was residue on her feeding utensils and drinking cups. I just wondered if you knew anything about this kind of thing?
Again it's just scared me as I've read about the concerns with these VOCs and cancers.
Many Thanks in advance doctor,
Claire.
Claire. I have encountered this situation before with my kidsI can assure you modern paint contains very low VOCs and any exposure on dishes would be minimalyou are good.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh thank goodness doctor thank you. I shouldn't have googled but when I did it said about the link between these VOCS and childhood Leukemias. What would of happened if she did ingest some of the residue may I ask?
Nothing much. Kids are resilient. Her body would process it and eliminate it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh ok thank you. He was using 2 different paints. One was a trade paint that the builders gave us for touch ups when we moved into our new build. Do you think that's ok? Also he used a kichen spray to wipe around with. I was just concerned about the mix of all these chemicals as again I read online about the concern about co carcinogens?
I'm sure that is okay
Thanks for this questionplease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have more questions, just reply
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry doctor, only just been able to log back in again it seems to still be playing up. thanks for reply, may I just ask. How do these VOC'S cause cancer. It just petrifies me to think of them going through her body.
They directly damage DNA
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok do you think with my concern it would take repeated incidences like mine to damage the DNA?
When I spoke to my GP about it all she said I could compare this incident to spending one minute on a plane (UV Exposure) and the chance of getting cancer from that. But I didn't know if that's a concern or what she meant by it really.
It is the same amount of DNA damaging exposureI agree with that statement. I think it is of minimal concern
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you get UV exposure from a plane? Do you mean this exposure is the same as that you'd get from being on a plane or the same as repeated exposures.
same as being on a planeYou get radiation from the sun on a planemore so than the ground
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I see and is it safe to think a minute if that wouldn't cause cancer in someone.
Correct
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you doctor and do you think that's still the case even though the two different paints mixed and with the kichen spray chemicals? Just thinking this residue could of been on a couple of beakers , dishes and saucepans that I had used before I realised what had happened.
There is always a chance of a mild residue but it wouldn't be enough to cause any permanent harm
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thankyou doctor thats a real relief. When I spoke to my GP about it I remember her saying it was a "infinitesimally small"risk do you think that would have meant the same as what you've told me that it wouldn't be enough to cause harm.
I would.I think we can safely wrap up this issueWe have gone over this for a few days now.There is zero risk. You have no concernsThat is kind of all. You need to accept it and move on with your life! Please don't forget a positive rating
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dr Phil. I'm sorry it's taken me a few days. I know I've had a lot of questions but also each time I receive your reply it takes me a couple hours to be able to log in and read it all properly. It just keeps saying website error? So it's been difficult with my little one to sit down and keep trying for long periods.
I wondered though doctor I am struggling with being anxious over things that happen like this . For example with this that happened I also worry that I read about these VOCS after you've decorated and it said that it can raise the risk of childhood Leukemias by 65% if you decorate your babies room before there born. Which of course we did paint her room about a month before but she didn't go in there until she was 6 months old as we kept her in with us. Would you say it's safe for her to be in there now ? Just thinking if she's in there and then this incident we had with the paint is it hightening the risk even more.? I wondered if I could run my other scenarios that I am concerned about past you doctor?
I will obviously willingly pay for further question. It's just I think I'm being over the top with things so didn't want to go to my GP but they still worry me, is it ok to ask your opinion on them?
I think you're being way too over the top. Your baby is fine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I really hope so. Are you able to comment on my concern above about her being in her room?
Today's paint is totally harmless when it is dry and on the wall
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you. It's so confusing when you read up on it. Why does it tell you that it still releases these VOC'S months or years after decorating? Doctor is it ok to ask you about my other concerns?
They don't release VOCs when dry. That simply doesn't happenYes, we can continue with other concerns but I would ask you to accept additional services
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was when I was reading online that it said baby's who's rooms are painted before there born have a 65% chance more risk of leukaemia because the walls still let off these VOC'S when dry?
Ok thank you I will except the offer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry doctor that sent before of finished. Yes what I read said even after a year after decorating 50% of VOC'S are still off gassed? Whatever that means.
That is not accuratewhere did you read that?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was called north west renovation a home improvement magazine. I probably shouldn't be looking at these types of website should I.
No way!!! They are just making you more anxious!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Definitely I think that's where I go wrong!
Doctor one of the things that I wanted to ask you that's been on my mind is the concerns around Teflon in non stick pans.
I'm just about to throw ours out as there are scratches at the bottom of the pan where the non stick has peeled away from use.
Again I read up on it and found lots of mixed advice. What scared me was they said about Teflon/PTFE is it or PTFO? And about it being associated with non stick things. It said that these chemicals are released in high temperatures and that if the surface is flaked or damaged it can give off higher amounts of carcinogens and the long term affects of this have not been studied.
I'm just really concerned as I've only really found this out and I've been cooking for my baby using these pans for the past 5 months as I do a lot of home batch cooking for her. Do you know anything about this PTFE concern. Again there's loads on the internet but I'm not sure what to read.
you can't avoid all the toxins that we ingest nowadaysthere is no point in worrying about itif you throw away the pans, something else will bother you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know that's true but do you know anything about the advice on this kind of thing?
There was loads on the net and I was t sure what the correct info was about it all.
I think you should live your life, enjoy your family and not worry about it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do really want to but I can't ignore the warnings around this and carry on using the pans.
Some of the information said that Teflon does not cause cancer but in the process of the non stick being made they use these PTFO's which are cancer causing but they say it burns off so is negligeable amount by the time we use it. but I don't know if that's the correct advice and just wondered if you knew.
that is the correct advice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think that will be the case even with the scratching on our pan and if I've over heated it As thats when it said it releases higher amounts , it even said scientist have found it releases over 6 different chemicals or toxins 2 of which are carcinogenic.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've just checked what I read doctor and the exact information was this "At 680 degrees Fahrenheit Teflon releases at least 6 toxic gases, including two carcinogens, according to a study by the environmental working group , a non profit watchdog organization"
This again was a feature archive on WebMD.
I don't now if you know anything on this.
I do
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you able to explain it to me as there is so much conflicting advice online.
My advice to you is that you can't prevent ingesting every chemical that has been shown to be harmfulour bodies are quite capable of handling these chemicals.If you spend your life worrying your life will pass you by
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know I'm really trying to tackle it. Im having weekly cbt sessions and really wanting to get somewhere with that. It's just little things like this will happen where my husband can brush it off whereas I am petrified that I've put my baby at risk by using these pans for her cooking. I just keep worrying that I've exposed her daily to that PfOA stuff and other carcinogens due to the scratched Teflon which supposedly then produces higher levels of these toxins , Do you really think her body will deal with that even though I used the pans for months.
Trust me on thisYou Are NOT putting your baby at riskCause I have two kids and I do the same thing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you mean you wouldn't do it if you thought there was any risk in it.
exactly
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see thanks doctor. It's so difficult when you read the terrifying things online. I got cought up reading articles from dieticians in oncology and scientist But did you say before that your a cancer doctor? Respectfully ***** ***** that you know the ins and outs of this type of concern don't you?
I'm an internistWe train in many areas cancer is definitely one of them
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see sorry to ask that. You know like the other scenario that I was concerned about. Are you able to just explain to me in a bit more detail about how this wouldn't be of concern. It's just as I said before I cook everyday for her so I worry this is a repeated exposure type thing if that makes sense.
I don't think that is a good idea.that is just feeding into the anxietyyou need to beat the anxiety back
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will try but may I just ask what my thoughts were doctor is that I was hoping that although I used these pans everyday and there may of been toxins released these would be negligeable even if the carcinogens were hightened with the scratch damage and I used the pan for simmering for long periods. Is this correct to say doctors would you say in your proffesional opinion, despite what I've read online about the concerns around Non stick and PTFO.
you have nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok i just worry you don't think my above comment is correct though.
I'm sure it is correct
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok doctor thanks . I was just really hoping that with the expert service accepted you might be able to be a bit more In depth about the PTFO's and the things I read online that was all. It just really helped me with the paint scenario to have things explained in a bit more detail.
I'm a physician. I'm not a chemist I can tell you though that there are no studies linking use of pain or teflon pans to cancerSo without evidence of a link, it doesn't exist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see so hopefully the risk is non existent. I was just thinking though is the information that you find online not studies ? Like when I was saying about the toxins that are apparently released at high temperatures ect
This is just a bunch of people's opinions.We don't rely on that in medicine.We rely on hard data, facts and studiesThere are no facts that show it is harmful
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok doctor, do you know or think that when these toxins or carcinogens are released that it doesn't always cause cancer. I was reading that if Teflon is over heated it can cause Teflon flu from the fumes but it hasn't been looked into about the long term effects of this. I didn't know if you knew anything about this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just wondered if you received my comment above doctor.
I know that no study has ever shown a cancer link so I don't think you need to worry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you. I actually emailed the shop where I purchased the pan today as I suddenly thought I don't even know that it's Teflon just because it's non stick I don't think that necessarily means it's Teflon. I was just thinking doctor do you think for something like this to cause cancer it would have to be long term use of it as in years or a life time rather than months or is that not known.
not known
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Doctor the manufacturers have got back to me to let me know what the pan is made of . This was there comments...
"I've been in touch with our communications team to try and find the answer to your question. We can confirm that the pan is made from Aluminium and the non-stick coating is Fluoropolymer based."
I just wondered if you knew if this is the same thing as the PTFO's?
I'm not sure about that one
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry Phil. I've only been able to log back in this morning. Kept saying web page not avaliable.
Ok thank you I'm not sure either about the chemical. But I'm just hoping like you said that if toxins were released our bodies know how to deal with it all.
I do worry when things happen like this. The other day I accidently melted the bottom of my food steamer ontop of the hob. It's working fine but again I read up on pthlates in plastic and that worried me and then the other day my husband was cleaning the fright of our fire which we thought was silver plated but as he cleaned it with polish the silver came away on the cloth and I know what he's like for not washing his hands, I then worry about any chemicals if he was then seeing to our baby.thats the type of scenarios I worry about really doctor incase they trigger cancer where as other people can forget them. I just get stuck on the thought that we don't know what causes cancer and maybe it could be things like this. Would you be concerned when things like this happen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you able to get back to me Doctor Phil.
please open a new questionthanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I opened a new question doctor for this but it didn't appear to reach you. Another doctor picked it up and I replied but haven't heard anything back for a couple of days now? Am I not able to ask for your reply on this thread?