Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My wife, 75, has a history at intervals of 3 months to a year,

My wife, 75, has a history at intervals of 3 months to a year, vomiting and fainting, usually in the bathroom at night. (Once in a lunchtime restaurant). At night I usually hear and eventually get her back to bed. A month or 2 ago, while on the toilet and unconscious she suddenly threw her limbs in all directions and went rigid with eyes rolling upwards, before coming round. Last night, maybe 2am, she apparently fainted and spent ‘an hour’ on the floor, before returning to bed. This morning, 0815, she ‘felt okay’. I left her and she did a repeat, with minor injuries (bruised head, cut lip), vomiting water she’d drunk. Now she’s back in bed, refusing to call a doctor. She leads a healthy life, diet aware, moderate drinking, keen gardener, Pilates etc., very disciplined timekeeping. Suffers from constipation and 'white fingers' - Raynaud's? - from changes in temperature. Any advice?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Does she have any other medical problems?Is she on any medications for anything?Has she been seen for this problem?Any tests done like CT scan or MRI of her brain?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other probs: as mentioned - 'white fingers' and constipation
No regular medications
Not seen for this prob
No scans done
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.I think that with the symptoms that she is having she must be evaluated further with MRI scan and EEG of the brain to rule out epilepsy as the cause.I would also like that she should have an ECG or preferably a holter monitor test to have her heart evaluated fully as well.She MUST be seen ASAP to have these and other causes ruled out.Fainting and falling unconscious is concerning and should be evaluated further with testing.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll keep up the pressure to see her doctor!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.