wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Couple of weeks ago I think I strained my lower back whilst

Hi, couple of weeks ago I think I strained my lower back whilst bend over. I have anxiety and tend to get muscle tension particularly in my neck, back and legs and this may have played a part in this. I now get intermittent mild pain/discomfort in the lowest part of my back and it travels down into my upper leg. I feel fine when I'm walking, I was up and about for 12 hours on Saturday and totally forgot about it. The next day it was back accompanied by stiffness. Also, if I lie on my front it eases.
Any suggestions on easing the discomfort when it arises? I have a desk job, so it can be difficult to find opportunity to keep moving.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.How old are you?How tall and how much do you weigh?M/F?Where on your upper leg is the pain? Does it go all the way to your foot at times?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm 31 years old, Male. 5'9" and 12stone. The pain is really in the left side of my lower back, like a mild toothache. It's more of an dull ache in the side of my thigh. All bearable, comes and goes just can be an annoyance.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No medical problems and I don't take any medication for anything other than allergies.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for that additional information.Since this has been going on for two weeks at this point, and the pain is traveling to your leg you may have very well damaged your back/slipped a disk.At this point, it would probably be good to see your GP for an exam. It is possible that Rx strength anti-inflammatory medications, muscle relaxants and rest will take care of things.If this doesn't work then you might require an imaging study to see what is going on with your local back......Of course, surgery is sometimes necessary but should be the very last option -- and I don't feel you are anywhere near to playing that card yet ;)So. What is the take home message?1. See your GP.2. While you are waiting to be seen (I've heard how hard it can be to see a MD in the UK at times....) you can try taking 800 mg motrin every 6 to 8 hours (with food), hot pad to your lower back (this can be done while sitting at work), hot soaks in the bathtub at home and taking it easy.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your advice.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
My pleasure.I hope you feel better soon.