Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

After rock climbing i find my fingers swell especially at night

After rock climbing i find my fingers swell especially at night when i sleep. I can wake up and find it hard to make a fist. If i stop climbing it the problem will slowly reduce and disappear over about a week. Two weeks after i stopped and fingers seem to swell a tiny bit at night but nothing like after climbing. It seems to effect both hands equally. Taking ibuprofen 600mg after climbing doesn't seem to reduce the swelling.
Is this some kind of arthritis, reactive, osteo, rheumatoid some kind of tendon swelling? How do i go about finding out what is causing the problem?
I have been climbing around 5 months only, i am 33 years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidrock climbing can be very stressful on the fingers and cause a lot of inflammation in the muscles and tendons.you need to ice your hands in ice water for 15-20 minutes 4-6 times after rock climbing to help decrease inflammation. this can help decrease that swelling which can occur after rock climbing and using your hands like that.I don't think you have a medical condition, I think this is just reactive swelling to severe pressure and strain being placed on the small muscles of your fingers during rock climbing.it doesn't sound like you have tried to ice your hands and fingers after climbing.let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr David,Thanks for the response. I forgot, i did try ice water and chilling by gripping frozen cans of drink. It reduces the swelling for a short period, maybe 15-20 mins after removal from the ice but then the swelling seems to come back even stronger. I tended to put fingers in ice water for 15-20 mins once then not again. Are you saying i do it for 15-20 mins 4-6 times in a row or over a longer period?ThanksChris
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, icing over a longer period of time can help decrease inflammation from rock climbingalso elevating your hands above your heart after working out can help decrease swelling as wellyou might have to put your hands and arms on pillows after climbing.try icing over a longer period of time.try elevating your hands and arms.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com