Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is citalopram a slow release tablet. Can I cut in half to

Customer Question

Is citalopram a slow release tablet. Can I cut in half to decrease dose gradually
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. No. The citalopram is not a sustained release tablet. It has a very long half-life, though, so each tablet has a prolonged effect without being sustained release. It is fine to cut the tablet in half. Some of the tablets are scored, but if not scored, you can cut it in half. Many people would find it easier to cut the pill using a pill splitter, but any method that you can use to cut the tablet would be fine. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future question, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/