Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 34 weeks pregant my midwife she uses a measure tape and

Customer Question

I am 34 weeks pregant my midwife she uses a measure tape and on my bump and it says on antenatal grow chat it size m 33inches so i was just wondering is that size i meant to be or not as i would like to know what size should i be and can you tell me also what size is 33inches in pounds thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The measurement of fetal growth is the fundal height and would have been in cm, not inches. The fundal height is the distance from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus, and this portion of the uterus is called the fundus. For most of the pregnancy, the fundal height, in cm, is approximately the weeks gestation. So for someone that is 34 weeks gestation, it would be expected that the fundal height would be 33-35 cm. However, while each individual number is ***** it is more important that there is steady progressive growth, as indicated by the steady increase in fundal height. There will also be a point during the pregnancy when the baby will descend into the birth canal, and the fundal height will actually decrease. The fundal height, by itself, does not indicate the the weight in pounds. Certainly, babies at 34 weeks that have a height of 33 cm tend to be smaller than those that are 35 cm, but there are many other factors that affect the weight of the baby independent of the fundal height, particularly how the baby is lying in the uterus. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.