DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I had Graves' disease very badly approx 10 years ago. I had

I had Graves' disease very badly approx 10 years ago. I had a high dose of steroids to stop the vicious circle. Eventually I had a subtotal thyroidectomy and now take thyroxine daily. I have been taking statins - simvastatin - for a long time now as the endocrinologist recommended. I decided to stop taking statins in January this year due to aching muscles and foggy brain. My GP said having a break would do no harm. He prescribed Lipitor for me to start taking. I haven't taken any yet. I now realise that my eyes are bothering me again - they are dry, uncomfortable and have changing vision. I think that I should go back on statins as they must have had a good inflammatory affect on my eyes. If you understand all this and agree with my reasoning - which statin is the best to take with my eye problems as I don't want to have the full blown protruding eyes ever again.nthank you for your advice.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome.Yes you are right, there are several studies which show reduction in eye disease risk in patients who take cholesterol lowering drugs statins. I would suggest you can add statins in your treatment and simvastatin is good for you. You can take it as you were taking it before. Though you can use lipitor instead of simvastatin as both have same action and benefit.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you had muscle inflammation from a statin, you should not use any.You will not get exopthalmos [protruding eyes] from not using statins.That is not medically correct. As a matter of fact, thyroid disease is a risk factor for statin induced myopathy. That you want to avoid.Use another drug, or diet, which will be even better for the eyes.If your eyes feel pressure, first this needs eye exam, opthalmologist not optician.Second, you might be on too much thyroid medication, that would be the cause rather than a lack of statin.What is your TSH level? That would help with this discussion.Talk with your doctor.Simvastatin is no safer in terms of side effects than any other.I am a double board ceritified clinical doctor.Find me as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Uzair - can you tell me if statins will help my eyes as well as my cholesterol? My own doctor changed me to Lipitor because of the related muscle problems. Am I likely to get these side effects with Lipitor as I did with simvastatin?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HIthis is the second expert, Dr. Thomas.I don't think you read my extensive answer.Statins are not going to prevent protursion of your eyes.IN fact, with thyroid disease, you are more likely to have stating induced myopathy.You are as likely to get the effects with lipitor as with simvastating.I will post my last answer again for you do read.It is important. Also, see my premium services offer. Here is my answer: HelloIf you had muscle inflammation from a statin, you should not use any.You will not get exopthalmos [protruding eyes] from not using statins.That is not medically correct. As a matter of fact, thyroid disease is a risk factor for statin induced myopathy. That you want to avoid.Use another drug, or diet, which will be even better for the eyes.If your eyes feel pressure, first this needs eye exam, opthalmologist not optician.Second, you might be on too much thyroid medication, that would be the cause rather than a lack of statin.What is your TSH level? That would help with this discussion.Talk with your doctor.Simvastatin is no safer in terms of side effects than any other.I am a double board ceritified clinical doctor.Find me as needed.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
ThanksSee this articlehttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/232240995_Role_of_Thyroid_Disease_in_the_Development_of_Statin-Induced_MyopathyYou must also look at your TSH to make sure you are not relatively hypothyroid as well.Save time in medical here and find me, Dr. Thomas, by request.For accurate, safe and up to date answers. I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas.