Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My 19 year old daughter seems to be burping a lot and feels

Hi, my 19 year old daughter seems to be burping a lot and feels uncomfortable. She has recently been diagnosed with silver birch food allergy and suffers from hay fever. She seems to be allergic to apples, peaches and nectarines. Not sure what else she is allergic to.She is tired most of the times and finds it hard to get up in the mornings. She also seems to get anxious a lot. She has A level exams and I'm worried about her health. Please could you advise what can be done about the burping and also how we can help her to achieve optimum health. Many thanks Dilshad.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Your daughter may be allergic to some more food ingredients like gluten, lactose, egg etc. hence a restrictive diet is recommended for some time to let body recovery gradually. Immun system gets hyperactive in repsonse to allergens causing malabsorption and weight loss. Gas and burping are also part of poor digestion process. You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms. Please go to this link for detailed information:http://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdfPlease also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria. Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily to restore intestinal microbial balance. Culturelle 30 Counts twice daily should be fine. Please consider taking Simethicone ( GasX) strips before each meal and activated charcoal tablets to reduce gas formation. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/