DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have hayfever and have found turmuric very effective at alleviating

Customer Question

I have hayfever and have found turmuric very effective at alleviating my symptoms (coming into 2nd year of use now), symptoms include, eye issues, sinus issues and nose issues. Traditional antihistamines have had little success over the years. I have noticed that my 4 year old daughter has developed the same symptoms, at first I thought she had conjunctivitis, her eyes were that bad, then realised it is likely hayfever, how I experience it. I purchased some cetirizine from a pharmacy on recommendation, it worked the first day, but has had limited positive impact since then (4 days now), I am keen to give her Turmeric too, but the label states 'not advised for use in under 18's', I waswondering if it is safe to give her turmeric supplements?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
I would not advise this without the consent of her pediatrician. Turmeric has potential side effects that may be more pronounced in children due to increased absorption and smaller body mass. For example, Turmeric contains a chemical called curcumin, which might act like the hormone estrogen. This could affect a child's hormone status and growth. Also, there is evidence that turmeric might slow blood clotting. This could increase her risk of bruising and bleeding. It can also decrease blood sugar in people with diabetes and interfere with iron absorption in the intestines. So, all in all, it is not a good idea to use in a child without close medical supervision. This is particularly true when there are other more proven agents to use in kids. Ask her doctor about a referral to an allergy specialist. If they can identify the agent or agents she is allergic to, you might be able to eliminate her exposures and her need for medication! :-)
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 9 months ago.
HelloI am a double board certified doctor.I am board certified in clinical medicine, and in integrative medicine.I am trained in certified in the evidence based use of supplements, herbs, and foods.Turmeric is a food.Give it to her as food.IT has been used traditionally for all ages without anything reported but benefits in studies.Fresh turmeric is now available in most parts of the world in whole foods type stores.The only reasons I would not use turmeric in capsule form are as followsa. Knowing the dose.b. Knowing the actual contents, as these are not well regulated.In fact, children can easily have a half teaspoon to a teaspoon of dried turmeric a day, especially if only during allergy season. This is about 3 to 5 300 capsules. There has never been any good data showing that this small amount is dangerous. Children that are over 12 and adults have used way, way more without problems, in terms of 2 to and 4 grams daily, or more. The problem is that there are no real good studies in children, so I go with traditional use and amounts.If you want to measure what she needs in terms of natural substances, the pediatrician is not typically going to know how to do this.However, the institute of functional medicine has now trained one or two groups of doctor in the UK in this science.You can call them for a referral Or llist.www.functionalmedicine.org.Find me anytime: Dr. Thomas, for medical and integrative medical answers.Use my request link. I am here daily.Please click a positive on this post if you want to see that I get paid by JA.Find me as needed.Good luck.dt OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
Cat, don't experiment with unregulated supplements on your young child. Just because they are "natural" does not mean they do not have medicinal properties and potential adverse effects.I would not give it to my 4 year old.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 9 months ago.
HiTurmeric as food is perfectly safe.And that is what I recommended to you.In fact, in the US supplements are regulated, just not to the degree of prescription medications.You can also go to consumerlab.com and check out any supplement for consistency.I am board certified in the evidence based use of supplements.But use fresh turmeric.Find me in medical anytime by request.