Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I've been having of trouble with muscle aches and

Hi, I've been having of trouble with muscle aches and feeling exhausted after a 10 min walk, anxiety, hair loss, loss of appetite and irregular periods. I had bloods done. Everything was normal but was told my iron was only 17 out of a possible 180... Would this cause these problems even though it's within the normalrange? My Dr gave me treatment for anxiety, but I'm not sure I want to take medication if I will just get better by raising iron levels..
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidraising up your iron levels most likely will not correct your anxiety symptoms.what treatment or prescription did your doctor give you for anxiety symptoms?low iron levels can cause fatigue and exhaustion and hair loss and loss of appetiteanxiety can cause irregular periods.was this your serum iron levels he checked or iron stores of ferritin?for ferritin, normal range is for women, 11 to 307 nanograms per milliliterfor serum iron levels female normal ranges is 50 to 170 µg/dLyou also need to get your ferritin iron levels checked.if your doctor gave you iron pills to take, make sure you take them with food in your stomach.you can also eat more iron rich foods like liver, spinach, beef, steak,let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it must be ferritin as he said normal range was above 15 and I'm only 17.
Fluoxetine for my anxiety but after reading the leaflet, I'm not sure I want all the extra side effects
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
bring up your iron levels most likely will not decrease your anxiety levelsit can help with some of the fatigue and hair loss and could help with your irregular periods.it is always up to you if you take the fluoxetineyou can always stop it in the futurebut your anxiety symptoms could continue if you don't take it.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com