Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 59 year old male, married 35 years and during intercourse

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a 59 year old male, married 35 years and during intercourse some two months ago felt a popping/snapping pain in my penis, continued through to climax and thought little about it as it wasn't a terrible pain. However since then I have developed quite a significant curvature upwards, tenderness during erection, erections not as firm/rigid as usual and some overall loss in length (1/2 - 1 inch). I have no problem getting erections but intercourse is a little more guarded and thrusting is not as comfortable and again guarded. I have no real pain when flaccid except perhaps a little tender. No problem urinating. I have no discernable lumps or plaque symptomatic of Peyronies and this has only developed since the slight trauma suffered. I haven't yet sort medical advice but am getting a little concerned. What are your thoughts??
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The primary concern in this situation would be whether there has been an injury to the fibrous layer that surrounds the erectile tissue of the penis. This is commonly called a fracture of the penis, although there is no bone in the penis. The popping sound is typical for such an injury, which is related to the tearing of the fibrous tissue. Most of these cases will heal with supportive care, but for men with persistent symptoms, it may require surgical repair of this fibrous tissue. Since you are having persistent symptoms, it would be appropriate for you to be seen. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So you don't consider this is PD? What do you mean by supportive care. Should I stop sexual activity for a period of time. What period? What would surgical repair entail.
Peyronies Disease typically does not have sudden onset or a popping sound such as you describe. Supportive care is usually ice packs, support of the penis, such as with a jock strap, and anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, and supportive care will usually lead to improvement in symptoms over a few weeks. The extent of surgery would depend upon the extent of the injury. There are actually three collections of erectile tissue in the penis, and each is surrounded by this fibrous layer. If the tear is limited to the outer aspect of one area, the repair is relatively minor and is essentially just under the skin. But if the tear extends to the deeper portions of the fibrous layer, then a deeper surgery would be needed. Sometimes, the tear can extend to the urethra and there would need to be urethral repair as well, but since you are not having any urinary symptoms, this is unlikely.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I stop sexual activity for a period of time. What period?
It would be reasonable to avoid sexual activity until there is no longer any tenderness during erections.