Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am taking a long flight on Mon. & my left ankle & calf are

Customer Question

I am taking a long flight on Mon. & my left ankle & calf are very swollen. The doc said today its time to investigate & sent me for a blood test. He said depending on the results of the blood test will depend upon whether or not I'll be able to take the flight. What will he be looking for & if he finds anything why would that preclude me from taking the flight?
Thanks. Gill
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Gill, He is looking for an elevated D dimer level (possible sign of a clot)if that is elevated, he is looking for a venous blood clotIf you have one, then you shouldn't fly until you are on blood thinners if you have a clotlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am already on a blood thinner, Xarelto, so if a clot is found why would I be unable to fly?
Oh if you are on xarelto then there is no issue
you can fly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Gill
welcome cheers