Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am a 56 year old woman - I had my merina coil removed

Hi - I am a 56 year old woman - I had my merina coil removed in Jan 15 - prior to that I had a 'show' in Oct 14 but since then no periods or bleeding of any description. When I had my merino coil removed I had an ultra sound and all was as it should be. About two weeks ago I experienced the clear mucus type discharge associated with ovulation and then one week ago my breast became swollen and sensitive and today I awoke to a period - quite light but clearly more than a show - and have had stomach cramps - all like I would have had with a normal period except much lighter . I have been to the doctor and have made an appointment to see a Gynae to get it checked - the doctor said this is very unusual but I have heard about it happening to other woman . Can you explain what it might be ? Cramps have worn off now and bleeding all but stopped ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidat your age of 56, you could very well be perimenopausal and this can lead to irregular periods, periods which are less than normal, sporatic irregular bleeding and sometimes even just clear mucus discharge.some women can still have estrogen and female cycles at your age, but they can become more irregular and less frequent with time as you get older.you can ask your doctor for blood testing to check your estrogen and FSH and LH levels to see how you are doingbut it does sound like you are are most likely perimenopausallet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I had my bloods checked at the time my merina coil was removed and they clearly indicated that I was post menopausal - definitely not peri menopausal - I feel like I have had a complete menstrual cycle this past few weeks - why might this occur post menopause ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if you are indeed post menopause, any bleeding needs to be worked upwith a uterine ultrasound transvaginallyand a uterine biopsythere are rare cases of uterine cancer causing bleeding after menopauseso you and your doctor will not want to miss a rare cases of a uterine cancer causing bleeding after menopause.talk to your gyn doctor about this possibility.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com