Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am a teacher and one of the children in my class had

Customer Question

Hello I am a teacher and one of the children in my class had an accident today. Another child had lifted him and dropped him, the boy fell back and hit the back of his head on a bench. I assessed him, there was no bleeding but a bump/bruise swelling. He was coherent and walked to me but in pain. I sat him down, applied a nice pack and made sure he rested. I checked pupil response (he has a difference in pupil sizes already known about before this), no fluid from ears or nose. He displayed no signs of concussion, no headache although he had pain at the point of impact, no sickness or dizziness. I immediately phoned the parents and they collected him and I advised if any symptoms occurred to go to A&E immediately. I am concerned that I should have phoned an ambulance for him and would like advice as to what to suggest to parents tomorrow please. I'm very worried.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionI think you did the appropriate thingThere was no signs of a need to go to A and Ekids hit their heads all the time with no issueYou did more than most teachers would dolet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** read that an impact to the back of a child's head should be immediately looked at by a medical professional, is this correct?
No, that is absolutely not correctLike I said, kids hit their head all the timeIf there are no symptoms, then why does a medical professional need to examine it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I thought that and that is why I called the parents rather than an ambulance as I thought in this case it didn't warrant that. Would you have any advice as to what I could suggest to parents other than watching carefully for symptoms. I'm very anxious about compression as I've been to first aid courses involving this?
Just watch for symptomsthat is allAlso a low stimulus environment if there is a concussionno tvno phonesno games for a couple days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. There were no signs of concussion. I shall monitor him very carefully and advice parents do the same. Thank you for your expertise.
welcome :)