Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I am 46 years old and have suffered with heavy periods and

I am 46 years old and have suffered with heavy periods and bleeding between periods for the last few years. I have had iron deficiency anaemia since having my first baby by C section in 2008 (I had a subsequent C section with my second baby in 2010 and again became anaemic). My ferritin is currently level 4 and haemoglobin is 10. I feel exhausted all the time.
I have been diagnosed with a uterine polyp which is being removed, under general anaesthetic, and the surgeon suggested fitting a mirena coil to control any other bleeding. However I am concerned about the effects of the progesterone in the mirena. I took one 5mg tablet of norethisterone yesterday (prescribed for bleeding whilst I await operation) and I had a migraine so bad and felt so sick and dizzy I couldn't function. I haven't had a migraine in years. My doctor said this was a side effect of norethisterone and to stop taking it.
Please let me know whether to refuse the mirena coil and any other advice would be appreciated. (I also have asthma). Many thanks, Sarah
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add, I cannot tolerate iron pills which is why I can't have supplements
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.You should not dismiss the suggestion of having IUD .The amount of drug released by mirena is much less than the dose in progestrone tablets.Actually about 1/8th of that of tablet.Moreover the the majority of drug released from mirena stays in the uterine cavity without exerting any effect on rest of system.Therefore we should not extrapolate the side effect of tablet to mirena IUD.It is entirely possible that you would tolerate the mirena without any significant side effects.Mirena is an excellent treatment for excessive bleeding and considering your anemic status and intolerance to iron tablets this should definitely be considered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.