Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I am asking if somebody who has parents who had illnesses like

i am asking if somebody who has parents who had illnesses like diabetus and been in and out of mental hospital most of their life. i have had 2 yearly reviews and tested for dibetus tests came back negative now they want me to have a senile demension test i said no and i have had another diabetus test i said this is the last one but what i have got is a illegally heart beat also pulse my blood pressure took onthe 12may 2016 was normal 130 over 70 my urine was ok iwas given warfarin sometime ago but could only take it for 3 weeks i had a bleed so had to come off it i am nearly 66 yeara old born 27 june 1950 i take care of myself i do all my own cleaning and shopping. i also have ostra artharitus which i got while nursing 17 years please help me i am starting to feel used because of my parents
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings. Welcome to the site. What exactly do you want to ask here? Do you intend to ask that because of your parents history of mental health problems and diabetes, you are being subjected to various tests when you already have shown that you have none of the findings through the test results?Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are not interesed in what i have
Well, you see positive family history of mental health and diabetes are significant findings and the doctors take these very seriously. That is the reason why you have to go through so many tests. However, the need for dementia test seems unwarranted as by simple Mini Mental Status Examination (MMSE) done in an interview with a Neurologist can be ruled out or ruled in and thereafter the test for Dementia is to be taken.So may ask your doctor to carry out MMSE interview based screening which may give him an insight into whether you are a potential candidate for dementia, if the rating of MMSE rules out dementia then you shall not have to go for further tests for dementia and this simple screening will be good enough for satisfying your doctors also but If the screening shows some positive findings then an MRI scan of brain can be carried out to support the clinical findings. I hope this answers your question. Wish you all e best. Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but what about my illegurlar pulse and heart beat i have hahd aecg in 2015 but this year one will be done on the 1 june 2016 will the test for diabetus ever stop i do not want them my dad had it before i was born and died of a diabetic coma because he could not afford his diet and had insulin over doses quite alot.and i could not get help because he was only 52.
Well, you see if you can get a test called as HbA1c (Glycated Hemoglobin test) which will show us the pattern of blood sugar in the past 3 months thereby bypassing the need for repeated blood sugar tests provided if your level comes out below 6 % in this test which will rule out diabetes. If the level is above 6 % but below 7 % then you will be considered at a borderline risk to develop diabetes and hence you shall have to practice proper diet and regular exercise so as to manage your tendency towards development of diabetes.You see since your father had history of diabetes and he unfortunately succumbed to a complication of diabetes and since diabetes is genetically predisposed that is it can be passed on from one generation to the next, so therefore you need to be on the vigil and carry out this HbA1c Test and if the need arises in case of elevated levels in the test, you shall have to monitor your blood sugar levels in the future at regular intervals, this is for your own good since diabetes leads to a plethora of complications and it is to be avoided for having a healthy lifestyle.As far as your irregular heart beat/ pulse is concerned, which by the way is clinically termed as Arrhythmia , it is usually not so serious but if one has got it then it is essential to get it checked at regular intervals since in some cases where this arrhythmia is severe then it may lead to some complications like blood clot formation and subsequent ischemia, infarction, stroke, etc therefore if your doctor wants to get it checked after 1 year there is no harm in going for it since although it does not look to be serious as is evident from the yearly check up for the same which in case of severity would have compelled your doctor to have more frequent tests. So all in all you may go ahead with the june 1 test.I hope this answers your queries and clears your confusion regarding why these tests are essential and what new alternative of a test can be used to reduce the frequency of tests.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i want to thank you alot it has made me a bit more understanding about what is happening to my body i have never had any signs has to what is causing this arrhythmia this there just the ecg that shows up why?i sorry but i cannot pay out anymore money. i paid the 36.00 out of my pension but can afford no more i rate you very highly thank you for the infor mation