Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've been prescribed Nasonex hayfever but it doesnt

Customer Question

I've been prescribed Nasonex for my hayfever but it doesnt seem to be helping. I've took it this morning doing 1 spray in each nostrile. Can i take hayfever tablets whilst taking Nasonex? If not is there anything else i can do as i cant stop sneezing? If Nasonex isnt working for me then whats the next medication i could be prescribed to help me? I feel like ripping my nose off its that bad!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. If you just started the Nasonex this morning, it may take some time to achieve the full effect. Some improvement may be noticed in some people as early as 12 hours, but it may take a couple days to start noticing improvement in others. And the peak effect will commonly take several more days to a week or two. It is fine to take hayfever/allergy tablets while taking the Nasonex, both during the time that it is building up in your system and during ongoing treatment. If the Nasonex is not helping even after it has built up in the system, there are several next steps that can be considered. An oral leukotriene receptor antagonist, such as montelukast is commonly considered. This drug is not recommended as a first line agent, but may be added to antihistamines and nasal steroids. It also may help to use a nasal spray of anticholinergic medicine, such as Atrovent NS. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.