wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am a 22 year old girl from Ireland and I have binge eating

Customer Question

Hi I am a 22 year old girl from Ireland and I have binge eating disorder. I have been attending counselling but no matter what I talk about or work through, I cant stop eating. The urges are so strong and they make my heart race and I cant think about anything else when I am experiencing it.
I also have overwhelming negative thoughts and it is an effort to do anything at this point.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.How tall are you and how much do you weigh?What sort of negative thoughts are you having?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am 5ft 6 and I weigh about 13 stone.
The negative thoughts are always about how ugly I am, about how weak I am for not being able to eat normally and especially about interactions with other people. I have had anorexia nervosa in the past and I also have OCD. I am not taking any medication and I never have.
Perhaps, I do need to take something because these thoughts are so overwhelming and uncomfortable that I tend to talk to myself and eat just to distract myself. I have tried to argue with these thoughts but this is never enough.
Thanks for helping me.
Thank you for that additional information.You are correct. There is no need to continue to argue with these negative thoughts as there are medications and therapy that can help.In particular, CBT training can be very successful in helping patient like yourself.I suggest you contact a local team familiar with your issues. Such teams are usually made up of a psychiatrist, a PhD Psychologist and a CSW. Many times, group therapy is very helpful.As I am in the USA I do not, unfortunately, know of any teams like this in Ireland but a good place to start looking would be at a nearby Large University Teaching Hospital. I am sure that they will be able to get you the care you need to feel better at an institution like this.Does this make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACSJust as an aside, I have good friends in Londonderry and get to your beautiful country every 5 years or so. It was such a relief when the Troubles were put behind everyone :)
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City