Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Ive had a hole in my septum and been too embarrassed

Ive had a hole in my septum for 3years and been too embarrassed to discuss it with anyone. Ive always been a nkse picker however with regret I used cocaine a few times a few years ago and then suffered an episode of depression which is when I abused it near enough everyweekend for a year. The hole is progessivly getting bigger and with my breathing issues aside, I feel its almost noticable. Also my nose tip has dropped dramatically and am really strugging with confidence aswell as major paranoia. In all honesty im really afraid of surgury although i know/believe its the only option. Any advice or help is appricied. If/when I decide to go for surgery my primary concerns are timescales out of work? And if the septum can be repaired back to normal aswell as my nose tip being uplifted? And if so in the same surgury?
Your help and advice is much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question Bhavin. yes, surgery is the only option and it should be done1)You will only be out of work for a week or so. Then you can go back2)Yes, this can all be fixed during surgery3)yes the same surgeryI think you will be fine. it is a relatively minor surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. Can you advice how I can go about this?Regards
You will need to consult with an ENT doctor or a plastic surgeon in person.Your primary doctor can give you a referral
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks again for your help!
welcome :)good luck Bhavin :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry last question - how painful is the procedure and are there any side effects? Also will I need to be awake during the procedure? And is there any stiches involed?
Not bad. On a scale of 1-10 it is a 5There are risks with any surgery like infection, bleeding, etc. All surgery carries riskyou will be asleepyes, there will be internal stitches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I be awake when the stiches are removed? And is it covered by the NHS Or if not how much does it cost?
The stitches will dissolveI'm not sure how much it is in the UK or if it's covered by NHS. sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no problem, thanks so much again. I certainly feel more confident with approaching a doctor to proceed.Best Regards
Bhavin
welcome :)