Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A recent blood test showed that I have a slightly overactive

A recent blood test showed that I have a slightly overactive thyroid and yet I have all the symptoms of an under active thyroid e.g extreme sluggishness, lethargy and tiredness; am overweight and finding it completely impossible to shift any of it; extreme depression and anxiety etc. How can this be? My doctor doesn't seem to want to do anything about it as this result keeps happening and I am completely baffled. Is there any other test I could do? What sort of specialist could I see; is it an endocrinologist? Could I go privately to one?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
It certainly is uncommon for this to happen, but there are a small percentage of people with hyperthyroidism that can present with symptoms that are more often associated with hypothyroidism. It is a paradoxical reaction, but the human body sometimes has paradoxical reactions, both to disease conditions and to medicines. Whether any other testing is needed would depend upon the exact blood test results. If further testing is needed, it would be an imaging test of the thyroid. It would be appropriate to see an Endocrinologist, and if your GP is unwilling to make a referral, it would be appropriate to see one privately.