Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My history: I have a dead front tooth at 10 years old that's

Customer Question

My history: I have a dead front tooth at 10 years old that's had the root removed at around 25 years old after a serious infection. I believe they removed the damaged tissue and replaced it with something. I'm now 31 and 6 months ago the area immediately above that tooth turned grey in a patch. No pain. Dentist said it was due to the tooth and he couldn't do anything about it.
I started thyroxine 3 weeks ago for a thyroid problem. I have low blood pressure and dehydration, general fatigue and hard to focus.
4 days ago I noticed grey patches elsewhere on my gums. No pain, my teeth are clean, I floss and have been using peroxsil for 4 days. 3 days ago my inside lip looks stained grey/black as if I've been drinking wine but it won't come off with cleaning. Very concerned as I have a very gummy smile and am occasionally photographed for magazine interviews.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a non smoker and only have 1-2 cappuccinos a week. No tea either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no small spots on the gum or teeth. Just patches. No bleeding.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthose grey patches are most likely veins behind your gums which are normal to be there.you can show them to your dentist.I can understand you worried about another dead tooth.but it sounds like you are taking care of your teeth and gums well.I'm glad you don't smokeshow those grey areas to your dentistI bet they will not be worried about necrotic gums or teethlet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it's not another dead tooth. Sorry I think you miss understood. The dead tooth was the result of the sudden shock to the tooth when I chipped it at 10 years old. I doubt my teeth are dying.There are strong definable patches of grey. And a black stain around the Inside of my lips and it's appeared over the course of a week or less, it was very sudden. The patch above my dead tooth had been there longer. The other patches aren't touching the original one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a clearer picture showing some of the patches and another showing my lips
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I see those spots.they could be veins under your gumsyour dentist most likely will want dental xrays.they could be normal melanin pigment collections in your gums as well. they don't look like necrotic gums or signs of dead teeth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any treatment for removing them to return my smile to normal?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you need to see a dentist to see what they areif they are veins, then you can't get rid of veins under your gums.you need dental xrays. but most likely your teeth will be fine on dental xrays.