Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My son who is 13 has had a chest infection weeks. He

Customer Question

my son who is 13 has had a chest infection for 4 weeks. He saw the GP on Thursday 12th may. He was put on a 7 day course of Amoxicillin. on Saturday 14th he began to experience stomach pains and diarrhoea. He was better yesterday. However this morning an hour after taking the antibiotic, he was at school and had stomach pains of 7 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest). He also has had a lot of diarrhoea. He has been seen again by the GP at 2.00 pm today. The GP said he should stay on the course of antibiotics and bear the side effects as to come off early would increase his risk of antibiotic immunity. His chest infection seems to be better. Please could you let me have your opinion? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Does he have any other symptoms like fever, nausea, loss of appetite etc...?