Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Doctor i have been having problems with bad

Customer Question

hello doctor
for years i have been having problems with bad breath stemming from acid reflux. years ago, i did lots of tests and the doctor said that nothing is wrong and that i have to live with bad breath. today, it is becoming even worse. what should i do? what tests? i asked my GP to transfer me to a specialist, but i need to know who is the best in this field. please help.
fatina dajani
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Bad breath can be caused by the persistent acid reflux causing inflammation of the esophageal lining. Ideally, you should be on higher dose of lansoprazole daily for at least 3 months. Lansoprazole 30 mg twice daily for 3 months should be considered. You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms. Please go to this link for detailed information:http://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf After the 3 month period, if you still have symptoms, you will need a test called esophageal manometry and pH monitoring. A gastroenterologist should be consulted with in that case. Please also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria. Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily to restore intestinal microbial balance. Culturelle 30 Counts twice daily should be fine. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for coming back to me. but u have not answered my question. i need a name of a good doctor in london to consult.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
This is a link to a renowned GI center:http://www.gastrolondon.co.uk/ Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank u. i will have a look at this link.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome