Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am 23 years of age. Female. I stopped smoking a month ago

I am 23 years of age. Female. I stopped smoking a month ago after almost 3 and a half years of smoking. I have had a sore throat for a week, not a scratchy kind of sore, but a painfull kind of stabbing pain down my throat. It seems to get worse and then better. Today I noticed my right tonsil is very swollen and that above it, in kind of a pocket, is a black mark/spot. I've never had anything like this. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.You have developed acute tonsillar infection.Bacterial infection will cause such changes.There is also possibility of abscess formation given the black mark.You should go to the local hospital soon for clinical evaluation.Antibiotic course should be started soon.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If I go to the GP tomorrow and get antibiotics and get checked out do you think it will go away?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
You should do it as soon as possible.If there is indeed abscess formation, that needs to be drained by a ENT surgeon.That is why, antibiotic course should be started at the earliest.