Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Severe muscle cramp a few times always in the same right thigh

Customer Question

Severe muscle cramp a few times always in the same right thigh on the front, and same time 4am-5am - while in bed sleeping.... The lase time pain so unbearable that I passed out and fell causing me to loose a tooth and 7 stitches on my lip... Afraid to go to bed now as I don't know when it will strike again.
Just back from A and E Dept. ECG and blood tests done and all fine. Recommended to get MRI on thigh muscle. I do a stretch by pulling leg up behind with knee bent....Worried at the min - any advise would be so appreciated.
Many thanks,
Colette.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Since how long are you having this problem?Have you had any blood tests done for this?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Have you received an official diagnosis as yet for your muscle cramps?Please let me know.Regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I am looking forward to your response.Kindest regardsDr. SH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. SH.,Thank you for your reply.I have been getting very bad muscle cramp in the same right thigh front for about 4 years off and on, but never as severe as last time - a week ago. As is stated previously, I was admitted to Emergency Dept. and they did ECG and blood tests and nothing showed up.I do not have any other condition that I'm aware of except cholesterol a little raised, but I jog 10km 6 times a week. I am not on any medication other than vits. potassium for muscles, glucosamine for joints, VERVE for energy and flax seed oil tabs for cholesterol - all these are natural products.I have not received any official diagnosis for cramps yet but hospital recommended my GP make an appointment for me for a MRI scan on thigh......Please advise again....
Fearful....
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.You are most likely having a condition called as nocturnal leg cramps.This is generally a harmless condition and there is no known cause of this problem.It can be helped by tonic water (which is available over-the-counter), calcium channel blockers, vitamin E and B complex along with magnesium.At times, it is very difficult to treat such cramps and regular quinine tablets may be required.You can read more about this condition on the following link:http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Nocturnal_Leg_CrampsThis session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards