wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I had cattaract extraction on both eyes in 2015. I have been

I had cattaract extraction on both eyes in 2015. I have been suffering from uncomfortable vision lately, almost similar to when I had cattaract. My optician said that my lenses are coated with thin film and have to be cleaned by laser treatment. I am waiting for my appointment now for the past 2 weeks. Please tell me
1) why I am struggling with my sight in bright light.
what causes this coating on my lenses and what this treatment is and what I should expect on to happen and what can go wrong
2) will this affect my sight, i mean side effects apart from improving my sight
3) any thing i can do to avoid the coating on the lense or it is a matter of having to have my lenses cleaned by this laser every couple of years?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Let me go over your questions in order:1. Because you probably have what is called a posterior capsule opacity. Please allow me to explain:When your cataract is removed a "bag" is left behind. This bag has a back surface called the posterior capsule. Your artificial lens (PCIOL) is placed into this bag during surgery. In a number of patients, months or years after they had their cataract removed and an artificial lens placed inside their capsular bag, the back (posterior) part of the bag becomes cloudy. Some patients liken it to their cataract "growing back" and have symptoms of glare, blurry vision etc. This is not a serious condition and is easily treated in your ophthalmologist’s office with a special instrument called a YAG laser. After putting a numbing drop in your eye a special contact lens is sometimes placed on your eye and, in a few brief moments, the YAG laser "removes" the cloudy posterior capsule. There is no post op recovery time needed, no patch, no drops and you can expect your vision to return within a few moments to hours. The cloudy posterior capsule almost never "grows back" or gets re-cloudy.2. The laser treatment is very safe and is without side effects in 99.9997% of cases. In thousands of these treatments I have never had a significant complication.3. As noted above, there is nothing you can, or need to, do at home nor does it need to be done more than once.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** more question please

Can my retina/ back of the eye be screened for any sign of reninopathy through the cloudy lenses

I am a retina surgeon and the answer is:Depends on how cloudy the capsule is...but, if you can see out I can see in.Also, B Scan ultrasound can "see" the retina through the cloudiest capsule.....Have the YAG capsultomy done if it is indicated. It is about as safe as a medical procedure can be.Make sense?See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;) I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. I need to ask why I struggle to read at night. Lighting makes reading or watching television oncomfortable and difficult. Daytime is not so bad but ever so often becomes irritatingly uncomfortable. Will the lazer treatment resolve this suffering? I have kept away fromn screen for a few days and still waiting for my appointment to receive the lazer treatment fo rthe past 3 weeks now. Why does it take so long to have the appointment?

If a cloudy capsule is at the root of your problems then, yes, the laser should take care of it.If you were coming to my office I could usually get you in within 1-3 days of calling.....not sure why it is such a problem to be treated in the UK.....Make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City