Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a pain in the middle of my back, either side of my spine

Customer Question

I have a pain in the middle of my back, either side of my spine that lasts about a week then it goes and I'm fine for about a week then it comes back.....any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.It will help if you could provide some further information.When you have this pain, is there any tenderness when you press on the back?Have you noticed anything that brings on the pain or makes it worse?How old are you?Are you taking any chronic medicines?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. I ask about whether anything brings on or worsens the pain and your age, as that may suggest a cause. If you are younger, the most common cause of intermittent back pain is muscular. If you are middle aged or older, then the most common cause would be degenerative changes in the spine. If the problem is muscular, the usual primary management would be exercises, both stretching and strengthening exercises. It also may help to use a muscle relaxer if there is associated muscle spasm or tightness. If the problem is degenerative disease, then acetaminophen or an anti-inflammatory medicine may help. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.