Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had some success taking Valerian , but have

Customer Question

I have had some success taking Valerian for insomnia, but have heard that you should stop taking it after four weeks, as it could cause heart problems. How soon after stopping could one take it again if insomnia reoccurs?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Thank you for the question. Yes, it is recommended that taking valerian on a daily basis should not be continued beyond 4 weeks. If someone is having intermittent insomnia and is not taking it daily, then there is less of a concern. There are no good studies that say when it would be OK to use it again, but a reasonable amount of time to consider it OK to use it again would be after 2 months of not using the valerian. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.