Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Doctor,I'm a 34 year old ex-smoker of 9 years who has

Customer Question

Hi Doctor,I’m a 34 year old ex-smoker of 9 years who has now quit for 1.5 years, due mainly to the death of a close relative from a smoking related disease.Last week I decided to have a small cigar at a friend’s wedding, however on review I am regretting this due to the implications this may have. It’s certainly not something I will be doing again!In the past 4 months I have had a clean chest X-Ray and also a clean Brain MRI, done to test for potential brain aneurysms as a parent had one of these. Everything has come back clear and there are no concerns, which was a relief! I decided on doing these tests privately in order to give myself piece of mind, I’m quite a worrier!Am I right in thinking that just the cigar will do minimal damage in the long run? On review it was a small mistake whilst being ‘caught in the moment’, but I would appreciate you reassurance as always if that is what you feel is the case.Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. It is excellent that these tests were normal. As for the risk of a single small cigar, you are correct that the risk of a single source of tobacco, whether a small cigar or any other source of tobacco. The risk of smoking takes years to accrue, so there is some risk of the 9 years of smoking that you previously experienced. But there is no measurable additional risk from a single source of tobacco. The greatest risk of smoking a single cigar or cigarette would be whether it will lead to a resumption of smoking. When dealing with any addictive substance, once a person has successfully quit, it is recommended to avoid that first substance to avoid any changes in the brain that will resume strong cravings for the substance. This is just as true for a smoker avoiding all tobacco as it is for an alcoholic to avoid that first drink. But if you have been able to limit this to the one source of tobacco, the actual risk of that single mall cigar is not a concern. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great doctor, a real relief and I’ll be sure to leave appropriate feedback, thank you!I can categorically say that I will not return to smoking in any way shape form, this was a one off incident at a social gathering over a week ago, and since this I have had no cravings to return to smoking. On the contray in fact.So just to surmise, following this single misdemeanour I have not done myself any major damage in terms of lung health and brain aneurysm?In regards ***** ***** previous smoking behaviour, my estimated 'pack years' equates to around 5 pack years. Is this considered a large risk in the grand scheme of things? My doctor did say that given that I have now quit, my risk is continuing to fall and that this amount does not constitute any screening. I’m regretful that I once smoked but now regularly exercise and eat a healthy diet in attempt to give myself the best opportunity moving forward!This is final question so sincere thank you again
That is correct, but even more so. You have not done yourself even any minor or minimal damage in terms of lung health or brain aneurysm. 5 pack years is not a large risk.
The current recommendation for screening based on smoking history is in people with a 30 pack year history of smoking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So with that in mind, that has really out my mind at ease.Thank you for this, I am currently undergoing help for health anxiety, of which this has been a trigger of. However this has been a huge relief and help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr, I will be sure to rate accordingly.
You are most welcome.