Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Every week or so I bring up a little amount of blood in phlegm

Customer Question

every week or so I bring up a little amount of blood in phlegm - not coughing it up - more ....not sure what the word is - sometimes ..without sounding gross its when I pick my nose and make it bleed - will be a couple of hours later or maybe minutes after - looked on the nhs site - have never "coughed" up more than half as tea spoon at a time and its never every day but at the same time we are now a few weeks in and im so scared of going to the doctors
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
this commonly happens. blood can drain into the throat from the nose and you can cough it upI would get checked to be sure but I don't think this is serious like cancer or anything
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Blood in the sputum persistent for several days requires further evaluation without delay. This can be due to the sinus infection or from lung infection commonly. Seasonal allergies can cause this as well from dryness and bleeding blood vessels. Chest Xrays are recommended and a Tuberulin test as well. Please see your GP. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
still need help?