Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My 2 year old daughter has had a swollen lymph node

Customer Question

Hello, my 2 year old daughter has had a swollen lymph node on the right side of her neck for 6 months. We have had it checked with various Doctors who have all reassured us it's nothing to worry about. The lymph node is just under the ear and first came up during a viral infection. It has got substantially smaller over the last few months and now measures 1.8cm. It is slightly rubbery in texture but also quite soft and very movable. My daughter is otherwise very fit and well, no weight loss, eats well, full of energy. We arranged an appointment with an ENT specialist who has arranged a blood test and ultrasound this week and if anything suspicious, he'd like to possibly arrange for excision of the node. We are extremely worried and wonder what your opinion is? Can chronically enlarged lymph nodes be relatively normal for toddlers? If so what causes this? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question, if the node has not increased in size and there are no other nodes and she does not have any symptoms then there is no need to worry, it is very common to have an enlarged node which can stay large for several months. It would be wise and safe to get biopsy which i am sure will be normal. It is important to biopsy a node if it has been there for more than 3 months. So this biopsy is a protocol following. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.

Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks. I have attached an image of the lymph node. Why does it seem that a toddlers lymph node can take a long time to reduce in size?

Thank you, ***** ***** so adorable. Node is pretty obvious and it would be best to get it removed as it can persist and cause cosmetic issues. Otherwise i do not see a red flag or serious issue, it is just for cosmetic reason.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. You have made us feel much less worried? What causes them to stay large? Scar tissue? Blockage?

Mostly due to scarring in the nodes leads to blocked and swollen nodes. You are welcome. Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You too ­čĹŹ­čĆŻ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear Dr AlamJust to update, my 2 year old daughter has now tested positive for Epstein Barr virus which the specialist now believes is / was the cause of the lymphadenopathy noted above. We have also had an ultrasound scan which confirmed at least 4 lymph nodes in the cervical region, all greater than 2cm, the largest being 3cm. They all had features of reactive lymph nodes with no sinister features. The spleen, liver and kidneys were all normal. The bloods showed some atypical lymphocytes which the specialist believes is due to EB virus. I am kind of pleased we have a reason for the lymph nodes but my worry is that the EB virus, although extremely common, can link to more serious disorders such as lymphoma. It is very unlikely this is lymphoma though isn't it? Especially as my daughter is very well in herself, full of energy, no weight loss, and the lymph nodes have substantially increased in size. Many thanks in anticipation of your answer.
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your reply, chances of lymphoma are very rare and it takes a long time and repeated infection to cause lymphoma with EBV.