Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

There I keep scratching my belly just below my belly button.

Customer Question

Hi there
I keep scratching my belly just below my belly button. Its quite bad i scratch it untill its sore and inflamed also the scratching is really satisfing so it gets really bad
Please help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Is there a skin lesion that itches that you are scratching?Or is this normal skin that you are scratching, such as a nervous habit?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. If there is a skin lesion that itches, then there should be appropriate treatment for that lesion. It may help to apply local care, such as cold compresses. It also may help to cover that lesion with a bandage that is thick enough to protect the lesion from your fingernails. If this is a nervous habit, that is sometimes more difficult to manage. It usually does not help to do any treatment of the skin, so it usually will require treatment of the habit. Benadryl may help ease itching, but is also somewhat sedating, so may help ease the nervousness part of the habit. The medicines that are stronger for controlling nervous habits, though, are only available by prescription. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.