wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

As asvised doctor I've posted a new question, this was my

Customer Question

As asvised doctor I've posted a new question,
this was my other concerns.
Sorry Phil. I've only been able to log back in this morning. Kept saying web page not avaliable.
Ok thank you I'm not sure either about the chemical. But I'm just hoping like you said that if toxins were released our bodies know how to deal with it all.
I do worry when things happen like this. The other day I accidently melted the bottom of my food steamer ontop of the hob. It's working fine but again I read up on pthlates in plastic and that worried me and then the other day my husband was cleaning the fright of our fire which we thought was silver plated but as he cleaned it with polish the silver came away on the cloth and I know what he's like for not washing his hands, I then worry about any chemicals if he was then seeing to our baby.thats the type of scenarios I worry about really doctor incase they trigger cancer where as other people can forget them. I just get stuck on the thought that we don't know what causes cancer and maybe it could be things like this. Would you be concerned when things like this happen.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.How old are you?M/F?What is the bottom of the food steamer made of?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Doctor.
Thanks for your response. I just noticed that you are an eye doctor so I'm not sure if you can advise me with my questions above
The steamer is made of plastic . That was my concern really as I have read about the dangers of pthlates and cancer and that's what in worried about as the unit will of been heated would it of let off these pthlates?Many thanks .Claire .
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Claire,You have nothing to fear concerning this. The amount of chemicals that was released is so small as not to be a problem.You are not going to get cancer from this, I promise :)Make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi doctor .
Sorry for delay, I've had trouble logging back in to see your response.
Thank you for your reassuring reply. I was just so concerned as I use the steamer for my babies foods. I was worried that the steamer was on for an hour and that the heat from the hob would of been releasing these bad chemicals during this time and it may of gone into her food. Do you think this still wouldn't be a concern in regards ***** ***** pthlates?
That was my concern really with my daughter incase these had released with the heat and food.Many thanks for your time.Claire.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Doctor.
Did my reply send you?
Many Thanks,
Claire.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Hi Claire,Thanks for the additional information.I'm oncall this week and it has been crazybusy! I spent almost 10 hours in the operating room yesterday so, suffice it to say, I didn't manage to get online much:(As a father of five myself, I can assure you that you have nothing to fear about pthlates getting into your babys food from this episode.Both you and your child are fine.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dr Rick.
No Problem . I very much appreciate your reply during your busy time. Hope things get easier soon.
Thanks again for re assurance I read up on pthlates online and I was so worried. Should I be concerned if they had gone into the air?
I do worry about things like this doctor. The other day I realised my non stick pan is quite scratched and I didn't know if it was safe to carry on using it so I googled it and it came up with alsorts saying that non stick pans release carcinogenic chemicals ect and the effects have not been studied. I now feel in a panic as I have been using this pan for months for my babies home made meals.
I seem to have a fear around things that could trigger cancer ect.
It's ever since she had to have a chest X Ray at 4 months old due to bronchiolitus and I felt in a quandary about this as I know it increases the risk of childhood cancers and it petrifies me that she had to have it done.
I just wondered if you knew anything about these types of concerns. They do worry me . She's my first baby and it's so hard not to panic over things.Kind Regards.Claire.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Claire,No. You do not need to worry if they went up into the air.I've been using...and scratching nonstick pans...all my life without any cancer showing up. You can stop worrying about this too...You should get help dealing with all these fears.Make sense to you?I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern. Dr. Rick MD FACS
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for you reply doctor.
I am starting some cbt actually as I have had anxiety over things like this postnatally.
I just can't help worrying about situations like the steamer and then the non stick pans. I worry with things like that happening and that my baby had to have an X Ray I worry so much that it could cause cancer.
Do you know much about X Ray's and things like this that happen in life?
Many Thanks.
Claire.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
Claire,That sounds like an excellent plan.Yes. I know about xrays etc. If you want to post a new question and put "For Dr. Rick Only" in the line I will be happy to discuss this with you.Have a good week.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will do Doctor. I didn't know if you could answer that on this thread? I'm seeing my own doctor today so hopefully will talk it over but I may come back to you for further advice.
Many thanks.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.
We would have to start a new thread for that issue.I would be happy to chat with you again after your MD appointment.Have a good day.