Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My MRI scan came back with a normal result. It was done to

Customer Question

My MRI scan came back with a normal result. It was done to look at inner ear and it revealed a few scattered white matter likely to be vascular. I am 67. Is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. These white matter lesions are very common in people as they get older. The frequency at which these are detected vary significantly in various studies, but between 1/3 and 3/4 of MRIs done on people that are over age 65 show these white matter lesions. These are considered non-specific changes related to atherosclerosis, which becomes increasingly more common with age. They also are more common in people with other risk factors for vascular disease, such as hypertension and diabetes. While very common, we do not consider these changes normal, which is why they are noted on the MRI report, and the summary of such reports are typically not labeled as a normal MRI. However, there is no evidence that there needs to be any action taken because of the presence of these lesions other than actions taken for conditions that are risk factors for vascular disease, such as optimally controlling blood pressure and diabetes, and we would want to perform these interventions anyway. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do older people normally have a progression of narrowed arteries (atherosclerosis) I am a non smoker.?
Yes, increasing age is one of the independent risk factors for atherosclerosis. People with other risk factors will tend to develop atherosclerosis at younger ages, but age, by itself, is also a risk factor for atherosclerosis.