Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had my gall bladder removed by laparoscopy in July 2014.

I had my gall bladder removed by laparoscopy in July 2014. Last week, after an X-ray of my hips and pelvis for possible arthritis, I was told that there is a surgical clip visible in my pelvis. My GP doesn't seem concerned about this, just saying that it must be from my gall bladder op. It was a shock to me to find out about the clip, and I'd be grateful for any comment from you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I assume from your question that you have never had any other surgeries on the abdomen or pelvis. In this situation, there is no reason for concern about a clip being present in the pelvis. There are several clips that are placed in the course of performing the surgery, including on the gallbladder duct and the blood vessels that serve the gallbladder. Over time, these clipped stumps will scar and diminish in size (also called atrophy), and then a clip may slip off. They typically will not slip off until long after there has been sufficient scarring to prevent any leakage of bile fluid or blood, in the same way that absorbable sutures remain in place for a sufficient period of time for healing to occur. If one of the clips did accidentally come loose quickly after surgery, there would typically be symptoms related to the leakage of bile or blood, and you do not describe any abdominal symptoms or symptoms of blood loss. Once the clip has slipped off, gravity will tend to cause it to slide into the pelvis, and that is not an issue. So, there is no reason for you to be concerned about this clip in the pelvis. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future question, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/