Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been smoking a year/year and a half (a few with long

Hi, I have been smoking for about a year/year and a half (a few with long breaks) now. I want to stop completely because I feel the effects on my body and I'm worried about my health. I often can't catch breath and my heart beats fast. I was smoking about 10-20 cigarettes a day.
Did I do any permanent damage to my body? I'm worried I increased the risk of getting a lung cancer or heart disease. (I'm 20 years old).
Thanks,
Marta
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This is a good initiative.Quitting smoking is the very first step to regaining your health. While not everything may be reversed or cured instantly, your body will slowly start regaining normalcy. For instance when you first stop smoking, you will notice that you will be able to taste food better, your sense of smell will improve and sore throat and dry mouth will also get better. Your heart rate and blood pressure will get back to normal within a couple of days.It takes about 12 weeks for the blood flow to the lungs to get better and for rejuvenation to start having its effects.Within a few years, your risk of lung cancer will reduce by half and within one year the risk of heart disease is reduced by half as well.So, quit now so that the rejuvenation starts today.Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.