Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have been on omeprazole taking two 40 mg per week and

i have been on omeprazole taking two 40 mg per week and following a good diet for over 12 months and I have been well. So disapointed to get a bad chest 2 months ago related to acid of which I am still suffering along with mucus and hoarseness and an unomfirtable feeling in my throat. I have feelings of indigestion after meals too and nausea. I hve only been able to see a nurse practioner who told me to take 80mg a day of omeprazole but Infact this seemed to make me even hoarder with a dry throat. I couldn't online this dosage.
Still haven't got a GP appointment depspite ringing from 8 in the morning. Today they said they had only 3 places to give away. My diet is good and my bed head is raised. No alchohol or caffeine is taken
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I suspect you have one of two issues1)refractory reflux. In this case 80 mg of omeprazole won't help. You need to add ranitidine in instead 2)gall baldder issues. In this case you need a right upper quadrant ultrasound I would try the ranitidine and try to set up an ultrasound let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou did I mention I have a small hiatus hernia . Strange that I have managed it all so well until suddenly it has all come back with a vengeance . What could be the reason ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you explain refractory reflux please
The hiatal hernia may have gotten worserefractory reflux is when you have reflux that stops responding to medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you suggest a further endoscophy . And if its worse what then?
I wouldif it is worse, then you would add zantac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zantac alongside omeprazole and ranitidine? Also have you had circumstances when omeprazole makes symtoms worse ie the hoarseness
no zantac is ranitidinesame thing.sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still continue with omeprazole? Have you had patients where omeprazole makes symtoms worse?
continueyes, I have seen it get worse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What level of. omeprazole could you recommend. I am not happy asking 80 . Also I have been on them for 2 years shouldn't I have had a medication check along the way?
20 mg twice a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For how long please.
for another couple weeksbut you need to get the ultrasound and try the ranitidine too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ultrasound or endoscophy? I was never offered an ultrasound
Ultrasound of the gall bladder and an endoscopy after if the ultrasound doesn't show anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou hopefully I can book a doctor ahead for bout 3 weeks .
you're welcomePlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)